Friday, December 01, 2006

It's Friday!

Hello dear reader and thank you for returning. As promised there's some new art here for your perusal and I have my news to share.

First, let's address the art. So heeeeeeere's Santa! I figured with it being Dec. 1st and all I'd share something of a festive nature. Hence Santa. This piece, which measures 4x5 inches is also relative to the news I'm sharing. So without further ado...

Much like many an artist before me I have decided to stick my nose into this whole "painting a day" business. However, not wanting to be one to completely follow the crowd (I'm one of those people that likes to shove their way to the front) I have decided to tweak this experiment to suit my already overflowing schedule. So here's the deal: I'm calling this undertaking(?) the Workday Paintings. This means that I will do my absolute best to complete at least 5 paintings per week, all 6x6 inches and under. From time to time I may churn out a larger one in a day but I suspect that those will be few and far between.
I'm also, like many of the Painting a Day artists, going to make this a year long commitment. I figure if I can stick to this during December which is, by all accounts, one of the most hectic and stressful times of year then I can probably make it through the rest of the year without my head spinning right off my neck.

Why am I doing this? Well, I had a few goals in mind. First and foremost being my eternal struggle with values. It seems that although I've gotten better I still have a ways to go. Second is that I'd like to become faster at my medium of choice, which is coloured pencil. Third is that I'd like to experiment further with making myself work small which has always been a struggle for me. Not all art needs to be gargantuan in size. Other than that it's just going to be a weird and wonderful experiment for me. By this time next year I hope to have grown as and artist and honed my skills even further.

So there you have it. On another art related note I've won an award for my landscape submission to the juried show "Domestica" in Belleville. Both pieces made it in but clearly that one made an impression. Once again, I reiterate, I have absolutely no taste in my own art. I have to admit that I'm pretty tickled about it and the opening reception is tomorrow so I can pick up my award. I was planning on going to the reception anyway but then I found out today that I won an award so that makes it even sweeter!

So thanks, dear reader, for tuning into today's episode. On Monday I will have for you some art. Small, workday art and hopefully you'll stick around to find out where all this will take me. Stay tuned!

No comments: