Monday, October 16, 2006

Git that cow!

No, it's not a typo. Indeed, the redder one's neck gets the more disregard one has for proper annunciation and spelling. I shouldn't say that, but I did and I will not take it back.
So here is another update on the penning picture now with cow. Doesn't it make much more sense with a cow? I think so, that and it wouldn't look very "Western" with some fellow just turning his horse...unless there was a reason to turn the horse. Corraling cattle? Chasing bandits? Practicing to me a member of the Pony Express? Okay, maybe that last one wasn't very cowboy-ish but I'm sure you get the idea. In this case he's penning cattle.

There's common misconception shared that cows are a stupid animal. I don't think they're stupid and for anyone that has watched penning you might be inclined to agree. You see, the cow has only one desire once it has been seperated from its herd and that is to get back with the herd. They're not loner animals by nature that's for sure. Yet it seems that once they're been seperated that's when the brain cells really kick in and the cow becomes a crafty little bugger. They're fast and they have out-maneuvered a good number of riders that I've seen. Every time I see the cows do this I can't help but think to myself that they've somehow redeemed themselves and proven, once again, that two-legged animals are just so darn predictable.
That said, this fellow in the picture seems to always "git his cow". Perhaps that's because, well, they're cows from his ranch and I suspect he's been doing this since he was old enough to get on a horse. So this is where I'm leaving you until wednesday when the next update will actually show quite a bit of progress. I got carried away and forgot to take pictures as I was going. You'll just have to wait and see what I mean.

No comments: