Friday, September 29, 2006

Hello dear reader. Can you guess what I'm going to tell you? I bet you can! That's right, no update on the mighty purple horse. I do have something to write about though, several things actually.

We'll begin by looking at the ACEO to the left which I've titled "Her Highness". This is actually a new ACEO but was completed about 2 weeks ago. Why have I decided to share this particular one with you? Glad you asked.
First, I've never done a wild cat before. I had always avoided this subject because it seemed that everyone and their uncle had done a lion or tiger or cheetah or leopard or, well, you get the idea. However, always intrigued by those things that I deny myself (like excessive amounts of chocolate) I decided to go ahead and beat that dead horse. Y'know what? I liked it.
Secondly, like all of the ACEO's I find it a challenge to work so small. When it comes to subject matter I'm a "bigger is better" sort of person. I apply the same logic to desserts. All cake slices aside, for most of this year I've been forcing myself to work smaller in an effort to develop more discipline in my art.
Lastly, I was exploring a more sketchy technique in my work. While I enjoyed the challenge I can't see myself abandoning my current style (and its development) anytime soon. I love doing blending and the softness I get from it too much. Worth noting? Even after I finished this piece it took about a week or so for it to grow on me. It's all a learning experience.

On the eBay front I have to say that, high listing fees aside, I am pleased. I've got bids on two seperate pieces! Tickled, just tickled I am. There's still a few more days left for the auctions I have up right now so if you feel compelled to see what I have just head on over to my eBay auctions and bid away!

As per a comment that was left about my last post and my profile I promised I would explain my internal conflict with raisins. When I was just a wee tot I liked eating raisins. In fact, I went out of my way to find things to put them in. Raisins in cookies, cereal, as a snack, in oatmeal, on sandwiches (yes, sandwiches) and so on and so forth. Like any overeaten food one gets tired of it and needs to refresh the palette. I didn't develop an aversion to raisins until I watched 'Benny and Joon'. Can you see where I'm going with this?
I ask you, dear reader, how can one eat a food that is embarrassed of itself? It would be like going to a hairdresser who has a bad haircut. That said, my relationship with raisins has become love/ hate. I won't eat them on their own anymore (a whole box of embarrassment!?) but I will be more than happy to devour them if they're encased in a gooey buttertart. Food for thought? I think so.

No comments: