Thursday, August 03, 2006

The reject is a winner!


Hello dear reader. Awhile back you may recall a little piece I posted called "Taking In The Sun". For those that are new to my inane babbling I've re-posted the work in question here. The poor little thing (it's only a 5x7) got rejected, along with another work, for a juried show back in May. The other work I wasn't entirely pleased with but this poor little flower had potential, I could just feel it. In another effort to redeem it's value I submitted it into the local art association I belong to for a show that ran from the beginning of June to the end of July. Wouldn't you know it, when I went to go pick up my pieces from the show the other day the little reject flower, I was told, had found a new home! Oh happy day!

It's always gratifying when an instinct you have is satisfied. More specifically for an artist I think it's especially satisfying when you see something in your work that others, artists and non-artists alike, can see as well.
It's an eternal artist lament that the "general public" just "doesn't understand" or they "don't get it". This is, of course, just generalized comments that I'm making but ones I've heard over and over again from artists. Sometimes though there isn't anything in the work. I've seen many works that are just technical exercises for the artist...and it shows. There's no feeling and no chutzpah to the work so is it any wonder that they "don't get it"? There's nothing to get, nothing for the viewer to feel and walk away with.
This little flower does it for me, it has since I completed it. Clearly it's done something for someone else as well and I couldn't be happier.

No comments: