Thursday, June 29, 2006

Summer is here...

Alas, today is the last day of school for the little ankle biters, I mean, uh... children. Soon the street will be filled with the pitter- patter of screaming children. An unfortunate occurrence for me since 1- I'm not particularly fond of children and 2- There are many that live on my road.
Don't get me wrong, I don't mind them in small doses. You know, for a few hours every so often. Pump them full of candy, get them all wired up and then send them home to their parents. I'd make a fantastic Grandparent, I think, but that would require actually having little mini-me's...an event I'm not particularly interested in. I say this now but I know of many people who've hit a certain age and decided that, for some reason or another, they need to reproduce. Maybe that will happen with me but then again maybe not, and I'm leaning towards the latter inclination.
That said, despite the influx of children on the roadways summer is a time for relaxing, winding down, spending time outdoors and just generally taking time to enjoy life. Being a self-professed non-summer person I do have to admit that there are many aspects of summer that I do like such as going camping, swimming, watching my vegetables grow (and then eating them) and the longer daylight hours which seem to affect everyone's mood in general. I don't care much for the sweltering heat or the bugs but all in all it's a fair trade I guess. Come the end of summer I'll be looking forward to fall, by far my favorite time of year, and all of this will be a memory to me as well as you dear reader. So enjoy it now while it's here for us to enjoy. That's all I can say on that matter as I mentally prepare myself for the 2 months ahead of small people but I will be back on Saturday to comment on the other reason I like summer: Canada Day. See you then!

No comments: