Friday, October 24, 2008

Sssssh! There's an Artist at work.

"On the Prowl" ACEO
Coloured pencil on Mi-Teintes
Copyright Rita Woodburne


I’d like to talk today about working environments if I may.

For many an artist I think it’s no big secret that music can play an enormous role in how well we work, what our colour choices will be and that music can be a source of inspiration, just to name a few things. Many artists will readily profess to the need to have music playing while they're creating if nothing else than for keeping them awake while they work on that huge expanse of clear blue sky.

I’ll be the first to wave my hand in the air enthusiastically to say that music is a great motivator and, for myself, a source of great inspiration. In fact, I’m planning a series or works I’d like to do based on music, although my ideas are still very much in the works so I won’t say what musician it involves or what the project entails... I need to keep you in suspense for awhile yet. ;)
Having stated the above I wanted to share that the other day I worked in complete silence aside from Sushi, the retired barn cat, running through the house like an elephant. I had turned the ringer off on the phone and, in truth, the radio was already off, the batteries in the remote were dead and I was too lazy to get up and turn it on manually.

It was some of the most focused work I had done in a good, long while.


I just wanted to share that with you, dear reader. It was a very strange experience for me as I can't recall the last time (or if there's ever been a time) when I worked in complete silence. Just thought I'd mention it because, well, you may want to try it one time if for no other reason than just to see what happens. ;)

Keep on art-ing!

2 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

I usually have some kind of noise, either music or some comedian dvd playing. I have tried so many times working in silence but I just can't seem to focus. I know a lot of people need silence to focus but I just get really bored :p

Rita said...

I never even thought of having a comedian dvd playing, what an awesome idea! I like to watch movies and work on art as well, LOTR being one of my favs.
I can't see myself constantly working in silence, I imagine I'd get a bit squirrely after awhile.