Friday, May 23, 2008

I'm Back!

VanGogh project daisies, WIP
5x7, coloured pencil on Colourfix
Copyright Rita Woodburne


Wow, have I been on hiatus or what?

So this Sunday, from 1- 4 pm the Lilac Tea takes place at the Tyendinaga Twp. Public Library. I’m very excited to see what kind of turn out we have and what responses we get from the artists who are participating in the show. Over the past week I’ve been toodling away with finalizing the artist brochure and getting some signage ready as well as making sure I’m not scrambling at the last minute to get my art show “stuff” together.

Taking part in and helping to plan an event like this is very exciting for me because 1- I’m anal about planning things and love to see things go off with very few hitches and 2- anything to do with promoting fine art and literacy is always worthwhile in my books regardless of where it takes place. If you happen to be in the area, or are looking for an excuse to go on a country drive, be sure to stop by and see the fantastic art that's going to be on display and meet the artists!

Cynthia, if you’re reading this, I’d love to help out next year because now all the surprises are gone and I’ll know what to expect! ;)


Next week I'll resume with regular posts and more updates on art and gardening. Until then though the remainder of today and tomorrow is going to be spent getting everything together that I need for the show on Sunday. Oh, and in case you're wondering how the above piece is coming along for my VG project...



"Catching Some Rays"
5x7, coloured pencil on Colourfix
Copyright Rita Woodburne


... it's done!!

Overall I'm pretty happy with how this one turned out and the Colourfix gave me a lot of flexibility for layering that I didn't have with the Mi-Teintes. Any comments? Crits? Can't get better without them.

So until next week have a fantastic week-end!

4 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

Have a great time at the show!!

I like the daisies. The petals are well done, nice use of colour. My eye is drawn right to the dark centre of the daisy in the foreground. The faded/fuzzy daisy is also well done, the simple blue background goes well with the subject, not too much empty space. There is something about that green stem that cuts between the 2 daises that bugs me. Not really sure what though (I know that is not that helpful). It could be because it does seem to cut the piece in half almost, or that it acts to draw my eye out of the picture. Like a triangle, the line goes to the dark centre and than back out of the picture on the other side (not sure if that will make sense)

Lisa B. said...

I love the flowers. The colors work well together, and I feel like I'm stretched out in a field full of daisies, looking up at the sky.

Do you have a view finder thingy? Try cropping a little off the left side (with the view finder, not the paper cutter) and see what you think?

We have Shasta daisies this year, but they're only three inches tall right now. Hoping to pastel them later. :D

I hope Sunday was a great success!

Anonymous said...

Love the daisies! The out-of-focus one is such a great touch. I agree that the composition bothers me a little; the two flowers are fairly balanced but they're all on the right side of the page. Like they're reaching up towards the sun in the upper right corner, but there's all that space on the left that isn't doing much for the eye. I hope that made sense and is helpful...

Love the colors.

Rita said...

Thanks for all the tips and suggestions guys!
The composition for this one wasn't ideal, I must admit, but I left it "as is" since I wanted to see what I could pull off with the Colourfix versus the Mi Teintes.

There are lots of daisies growing again so I'm charging up my camera for more ref pics! ;)