Friday, March 28, 2008

It's Starting to Smell Green...

"Regalia" ACEO can be purchased by contacting me at:
rita @ ritawoodburne.com
Copyright Rita Woodburne


Well, it's that time of year again. Time to start thinking about the upcoming garden season and, if the weather is permitting in your neck of the woods, it's also time to start some veggie seeds.

Much like last year the majority of my gardening posts are going to cover vegetable gardening with the occasional foray into flowers. My green thumb is mainly reserved for growing veggies of epic proportion and my flower thumb... well, it's not entirely green, let's just put it that way.

Today's post is the official kick-off and I'll keep it as "Reader's Digest" as possible 'cause there's going to be oodles to cover in the coming weeks. So, with that in mind here's a list of what I'll be growing this year:

  • carrots
  • cherry tomatoes
  • parsnips
  • cucmbers
  • onions
  • garlic
  • peas
  • zucchini
  • corn
  • eggplant
  • lettuce
  • buttercup squash
  • potatoes
  • pumpkins

In addition, I've also decided to throw in basil and oregano because I use them a lot in my cooking. On top of those things there's the standards I already have in the garden that come back year after year like chives, dill, parsley, rhubarb and the raspberries that have taken on a life of their own.

That's right. Those are some daffodils and tulips that are poking
their sleepy little heads out.
Just to put this into perspective, on Monday of this week there was still a little
over a foot of snow covering these guys.


So there's the list of goodies for this year. I may also throw some beets and beans in there as well but we'll see as we get closer to planting time.This has been a long, snowy winter so the sooner I can get back to playing in the dirt, the better. Wouldn't you agree?



4 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

Def. time to start playing in the dirt. Hopefully this Sunday we will get some flowers started and decide if we are going to try to grow veggies this year.

The daffodils here have been out for about 2 weeks. No snow here, just lots of rain.

Don't think we will grow beets this year, had to toss so many of them out :/ Theres only so much beets a person can eat :p

Lisa B. said...

No green beans? Those are one of the few things I can get frozen successfully!

We're doing a bigger strawberry patch this year. Probably won't be enough for jam, but shortcake is good too.

Anonymous said...

Wow... it's amazing how different the timing is between here and there! It's too late for seeds here. :/

Rita said...

Jennifer- I hear ya' on the beets. I think I grew too many last year as well. My mother and grandmother had to come over and take some of them from me!

Lisa- Shortcake is always good, no matter how much of it you can manage to make. I'm still waffling over green or yellow beans...

Meg- If you can believe it there's still snow on the ground here. I suspect most of it will be gone by the end of the week...I hope! :/