Monday, October 15, 2007

Look Ma, no change!

"A Crabby Duo" ACEO can be bid on here.
Copyright Rita Woodburne


Guess what? My blog looks the same. This week-end was far too hectic for me to actually sit down and work on this so it's been bumped into this week...along with a whole bunch of other projects that didn't get any attention this past week-end.

So today I'm going to stray a bit off topic. Today is an environmental Blogger Day of Action (I know, it sounds so "official"). I wouldn't normally address things like this, but I'm a self confessed tree hugger so I feel that even if I just do a teeny weeny bit that's better than nothing at all.
The title for my post also alludes to this issue because while there are lots of things that have changed, such as replacing various power sources such as nuclear and oil with solar and wind or the fact that hybrid cars are becoming more commonplace, there are still folks out there that haven't gotten the memo. I'm far from the perfect environmentalist but I know I'm doing as much as I can right now and I'm always looking for new ways to incorporate more earth friendly things into my daily routine.
I'm not going to climb up on my soap-box for this post but I will provide you with a few helpful tips to help reduce our over-consumption of resources:

- Turn off lights in rooms that no one is using
- Set your thermostat lower by 2-3 degrees
- Make sure your windows and doors are in good condition and properly sealed. Many houses use up excess power just from furnaces and air conditioners that are doing double time for air escaping through cracks in doorways and window seals
- Drive a vehicle appropriate for your lifestyle. If you live in the city, unless you're a construction worker that needs to tote tools around, you do not need an SUV or pick-up truck
- Carpool when possible
- Dry your clothing on a clothesline during warmer months
- Use a cold water cycle to wash your clothing
- If you're on a septic system, use liquid detergents for washers and dishwashers. Granule detergents clog up your pipes and can cause appliances to run inefficiently
- When using a dishwasher, make sure it's actually full before running it
- Instead of going out and buying a new _____ (insert whatever happens to be broken) try fixing it instead of throwing it out.

And for the love of all things good and green...

RECYCLE!!!

I can't tell you how many people I know that still don't recycle or only recycle the basics. There are sooooo many items that can be recycled nowadays and the fact that so many people still don't do it is the kind of thing that makes me want to bop people over the head with a blue box.

So there you have it, my little online contribution to trying to save our planet. Remember, it's a privledge for us being able to live on this planet so let's not treat the Earth like a giant toilet, okay?

If anyone else out there has any other earth-friendly tips feel free to post them and I'll be back on wednesday. Now, go hug a tree!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amen to all that! It's tough getting people down here in the south to do any of that. Most people commute by themselves 30 miles to work in huge trucks. :/

Rita said...

The carpooling thing is getting better here, but there's still a lot of people that just drive by themselves in their gas-guzzlers. Old habits die hard I guess. :/