Wednesday, February 14, 2007

What can a cheapy HB do?

I wasn't fibbing or lying, I really so have sketches. Granted they were quick sketches but VanGogh-ish nontheless. In actuality I'm missing one because, well, I'm not really sure what happened. I thought I had downloaded it off my camera but apparently I was mistaken and now it floats somewhere in computer oblivion.


The first is after VanGogh's drawing 'Peasant with Sickle, Seen from Behind'. A quick sketch, about 45 mins, with my trusty cheapy HB and a pricey Derwent 5B. As far as the VG work goes it was another attempt to understand his "view of things" and why oh why he chose to do a lot of peasant sketches without including the faces. His preference? Afraid of doing faces? Had to get started on something else? Who knows...
Anyway, the second, from a photo I took last fall (the same time as the barn, the other half did a lot of driving that day). About half-way through the sketch I decided to abandon the pic and go from memory. After just completing a few very soft and detailed graphite commissions I was itching to just go willy-nilly with my pencils and, as such, this sketch was the victim. Nonetheless I'm happy with it because it feels genuine to me (I know, I know, ditch the touchy feely crap...). It was done with only my HB and I really should've employed another B pencil but alas, when time is of the essence you work with what you have available.
So that's where I stand with VanGogh. The horse is coming along nicely and I suspect that, barring any cataclysmic events, it should be done by the end of the week.

In my haste and excitement yesterday I forgot to mention my gallery/ studio news...that's really how excited I was about the horse and the colour. So the unnamed gallery has finally been named the "Gnome Tree Studio". For all of you who have just now laughed or looked at your computer screen like the Lucky Charms Leprechaun popped up on it let me explain...
When the other half and I moved here we didn't know what to expect. There was a lot of uncertainty about what we were undertaking and the folks we bought the place from were above and beyond nice (they're my "adopted parents", their choice, which I'm sure they're regretting now :D). Before moving here we came up for a visit to get to know the place and all the quirks that come with living on a farm. As you may have noticed in the blurb on the right we live on 200 acres and that's a lot of land to either cultivate or turn into your own private playground...it was decided many years before we moved here that the private playground option was best. Within this playground are many little "places"...the 'Last Ambush', 'The Bar' (with the Hooter and the Cowboy), the 'Highland Road', the 'Lost Meadow', 'Sort of North' and 'Sort of East' and...'The Gnome Tree'. This place has been a release of creativity in every sense of the word and I cannot express my gratitude enough for the people that have supported my "return to what I never should have left".
I'll show you, dear reader, a picture of the main Gnome Tree (there's more than one, scared yet?) tomorrow or friday to confirm the existence of said tree. Right now I have to go design a sign for the new, finally, named gallery/studio. If you happen to be in the area please stop by and have a gander at my art and, if the weather is co-operative and you're feeling up to it we can venture out to this habitat of the Gnomes and inspiration for art. Hey, at least I didn't name my gallery "The Dragon's Nest"...toodles!

No comments: