Thursday, August 28, 2008

Art and alien space pods

Nope, I haven't dropped off the face of the earth... at least not yet anyway.

The past couple of weeks have been hectic and as the last of the lazy, hazy (or in our case cool and soggy) days of Summer come to a close I realize how much prepping we still have to do before Winter. After all, the paddocks won't seed themselves and firewood isn't going to cut and stack itself.

The Women's Art Festival went well and the weather held out despite some dark, threatening clouds that rolled in mid-afternoon. Then last week-end the Other Half and I were off camping with friends. Getting any amount of art done has happened at a glacially slow pace, although I do have this to share:

5x7, coloured pencil on Mi-Teintes
Copyright Rita Woodburne

There's a weird glare at the bottom part of the picture which I apologize for, I'll need to get a better pic of it later. I also have a couple of WIP's on the go and I hope to post them this week-end since it's a long week-end and I intend to be as lazy as possible before the Fall rush of chores begins.

Also, because things aren't weird enough for me on a regular basis here on the farm let me share with you with my story of discovery...

So last week Rosebud and I were walking through the woods. It was a nice sunny day and we were enjoying our morning constitutional and as we wandered here there and everywhere I can recall thinking 'It seems quiet... too quiet'. After all, it's the woods, there's usually leaves rustling, birds chirping and crazy squirrels chattering away as we walk past them.
As this thought crossed my mind I remember feeling somewhat anxious, as though something wasn't quite right. So, with that feeling of uneasiness coming over me, Rosebud and I started to head back. We were on the homestretch and as I rounded a corner approaching the surface ponds I saw something that darn near made me require a change of pants. It was this:

Oh yes, a scary mylar balloon. Except this balloon (which measures a good 2 1/2 feet in height I might add) still had enough helium in it that it was standing upright.

So there I was, standing in the woods with my heart pounding and face to face with what I initially thought was some type of alien space pod. Then I realized it was a smiley face mylar balloon and I was even more frightened because, really, who the Hell expects to see a sunshine smiley face balloon staring at them in the middle of the woods. Not me, that's for sure.

After I figured it was safe to approach the balloon and there weren't any booby traps set out to ensnare me I picked up the balloon and took it back to the house with me because I can only imagine how the horses would've reacted had they seen this horse- eating monster in one of their favourite snacking spots.

So there you have it, the fun and weirdness just never ends for an artist living on a farm. I like to think of it as my own little 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' experience. Better a mylar balloon than a Coke bottle, 'cause the balloon makes for a much better story. ;)

Back on the long week-end!


Lisa B. said...

Boy, you really had me on the edge of my seat with that one! I'm delighted it was a balloon, and not a bear.

Ann said...

Well, I'm glad you're safe from your balloon encounter!
Lovely drawing :)

Rita said...

Thanks for the concern Lisa and Ann. :D I have to admit that I was glad that it was a balloon and not a bear either!

Oddly enough, this incident wasn't the first time I've found a ballon in the woods. It was just the first time I found one that was that large and still full of enough helium that it could "face" me.