Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Looking For Art?

"Warming Up" ACEO can be bid on here.
Copyright Rita Woodburne

"The Courtship (Study)" ACEO can be bid on here.
Copyright Rita Woodburne


Welcome back, dear reader!

So I guess you’re looking for art, yes? Well, you’re in luck, I have some. More specifically, I have art relating to my colour project.
For those that might just be joining the program my colour project is quite simple: I’ve resolved to do a series of works, using horses as the subject, as a means of exploring colour and incorporating more of it into my work. The idea with this project is to use the colour boldly and loosely using both coloured pencil (my beloved Prismacolour’s) as well as soft pastels, in this case CarbOthello’s.

I have two pieces that were posted previously and with this post I offer up two more that are more than open to comments and critiques by you, dear reader. Don’t worry, I have thick skin when it comes to this kind of thing, let ‘er rip.

Copyright Rita Woodburne

Copyright Rita Woodburne


Again, these are purely experimental and as I do one after another I can honestly say that I feel I’m making progress. In fact, I’ve already noticed that what I’m learning is being applied to one of my favourite works to do, ACEO’s! In the two posted above that I currently have up for auction in my eBay I’ve incorporated colour in a different way than I normally would have and, much more to my delight, I’m beginning to understand how to use it in regards to my style and working habits which was the whole point of doing this.

I still feel that I have to work on my use of colour more as I’ve found that sometimes it’s a success and sometimes... well... not so much. I’ve also discovered that some colours react to spray fixative in a most unexpected way (this is new to me, but I’m sure not new to others). One such instance occurred with another ACEO I completed recently and needless to say it was an accident, but fortunately a happy one.

I’m finding this experiment/ exploration an awful lot of fun and I’m hoping that I’ll be able to get to that “ah-ha” moment or at the very least get the inkling that I’m almost there. Back to the drawing board and the wild and wacky colours!

5 comments:

Jennifer Rose said...

That grey horse is gorgeous!!
Certain colours will react to one fixative but not to another, some colours you just can't spray though. :/

Rita said...

Thanks for the compliments Jennifer!

I generally use a workable fixative (Krylon) and it would seem that Raspberry doesn't care much for my fixative. That said, the "accident" worked out well but I'll have to make a note of it for next time!

Ann said...

I really like what you are doing with color here. These are all beautiful and very vibrant.I'm working out some of the same issues with my work so I'll be watching to see how you progress!

Anonymous said...

I love the blue & red highlights on the dark horse. Beautiful! I love seeing artists explore and experiment; they usually turn out great.

Gouache does the same thing with fixative - some colors just hate it.

Rita said...

Ann- Thanks! Nice to have you along for the ride and I hope you find success with your own colour experiments. :)

Meg- The darker horse is one of my fav's as well.
I enjoy projects like this because I take a lot of pressure off myself and I really think it's to the benefit of my progess as an artist...and it's just plain fun!