Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Indulgences

"Working For It (Study)" ACEO can be bid on here.
Copyright Rita Woodburne


Welcome to my day of babble, dear reader. Today, as you may have gleaned from the title, is about indulgences. I'm not talking about Lindsay Lohan type indulgences that involve drinking a mickey of whatever happens to be handy, dancing on a tabletop, drinking another mickey of whatever happens to be handy and then making out with whichever male star happens to be handy. No, I'm talking about simple indulgences. Sleeping in, sitting outside on a sunny day, eating a tube of cookie dough (you know who you are), taking a drive in the country, playing with a puppy or kitten, eating an entire tub of ice cream (again, you know who you are) or splashing in a mud puddle. For me, one of my indulgences is watching mindless television and my latest treat is, and I loathe to admit it, watching Pros vs. Joes.

For those that are unfamiliar with the show it breaks down like this: get 3 guys who think they're hot sh*# and have them take on 4 pro level athletes in various sports activities. What it really boils down to is 3 guys that think they're hot sh*# getting their hineys wiped by folks that do these sports in their sleep. Something about the sight and sound of an overly-inflated ego getting shmooshed into the ground is, well...entertaining.
Now, I'll be the first to admit that I'm horrible at sports. I can't run to save my life (well, maybe to save my life), I can't throw, I can't jump, I can't kick, I can't skate (I know, a Canadian that can't skate...THE HORROR!) and I can't trash talk very well. That's why I'm an artist.
That said, every time I watch this show some thing in me becomes very mean-spirited and I want to see these "Joes" fail, especially when they're matched up against a female athlete. The thought in my head goes something like this:
"Kick his a$$ gargantuan volleyball girl! KICK IT!!"

Now that's not like me at all...well, maybe a little.

So there you have it folks. I'm not a completely cultured "artiste" like some would believe. I have weaknesses and those weaknesses apparently include watching others humiliate themselves horribly on National television.
Now if you'll excuse me, I need to go prepare myself for more civilized television viewing. Something to help me return to my senses, culture myself and become more in touch with having a sense of propriety. Yes, I must go because America's Next Top Model will be starting shortly.

No comments: